Monday, November 4, 2013

EASY TO FORGET

It's easy to forget that one of my grannie clients has some memory problems.  She can be so sharp, so with it, and downright "hip," that the need for respectful vigilance can slip my mind. 

This past weekend, she was using a ladies' room in an unfamiliar supermarket in a village some distance from her home.  I was waiting for her in the wide, clearly (I thought) visible front aisle.  Now, she can take her time in the ladies' room; unlike me & most of my non-makeup wearing friends, she has to double-check her lipstick & hairstyle & make sure she's "presentable."   So, it took about five minutes or so for me to get a bit concerned that she hadn't rejoined me. 

Moving into the center of the aisle & looking over toward the ladies' room, I spotted my friend, frozen to the spot in the café, looking totally alone & scared to death. 

She walked out of the ladies' room, into the café.  That's what it would have looked like to anyone seeing her.  What was actually happening was she walked out a semi-familiar setting (supermarket ladies' rooms look pretty much the same all over), into the complete unknown.  She didn't know where she was, what town she was in, why she was there.  I spotted her about a minute later.

It's so easy with someone so typically sharp to forget she occasionally gets a bit fuzzy.  I am so proud of her.  She shared her harrowing experience as information, without a sense of rebuke or betrayal. God bless her & praise be for all the blessings she brings to my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment