Friday, November 15, 2013

BULKING UP, BUILDING OUT

My philosophy for preparing to work with "grannie clients" is identical to back in my eons-ago pre-teaching days.  Seemed to my college self that it was way more important to develop myself as a person than to take a curriculum severely limited to "teaching of" technique courses.  Oh, I considered technique important.  It's just that, to me, it seemed to play the secondary role. 

Which explains why my degree from what's now Bryn Athyn College is in Philosophy, with a History minor - -  a radical major for a "New Church" woman back in the early 1970s.  As a sophomore & later as a senior, I was grilled - twice! - by the head of the Ed Dept for the WHY behind what was to him a downright quixotic pursuit. 

How awesomely amazing for a young woman, barely in my twenties, to be forced to explain & defend to a mega authority figure my very reasons for a life pursuit!  
 
Can still hear the department head warning me, "Just because you take an extra year of Ed classes is no guarantee that you'll get a job within the church school system, even if one should arise."   Remember taking a pause & a deep breath before responding, "Yes, Mr. Gladish, I understand that.  But if I don't take the classes & a job opportunity does come up, it's a guarantee that I won't get it."

After taking my degree, I did come back - as I'd always planned - for a 5th year of the very "teaching of" courses I'd bypassed.  And when a job teaching in the local elementary school came up, I was hired! 
 
No one was more surprised than moi that I turned out to be a bit a trailblazer, one of a few women whose actions showed a keen interest in the college's exceptional teachers & learning environment, not just its ed degree.  FYI - today, Bryn Athyn College offers TEN majors! 

I've set out to be a similar trail blazer with elder care.  Yes, I lack what many senior care professionals assume are basic techniques.  I have no expertise in helping with day-to-day life functions.  Nor do I ever expect to.  Still, I've come to give great value to the unusual quality I do bring to my grannie clients & their appreciative families. 

Just as I wasn't done with my preparation back when I got that bachelor's degree, I'm far from finished now.  And what's needed now seems the same as what it was almost forty years ago - learning basic skill sets. Not as in how to help grannies & other grands with day-to-day functional needs.  That's not my area of strength.  But learning & mastering the mechanics of turning whatever it is I do into shareable formats.  I've developed the ME part of what I bring, but it's limited to affecting the quality of life of two, maybe three olders.  It feels like my life purpose is to help others get countless seniors engaged, energized & empowered.  Time to bulk up & build out my shareable skill sets!

Been here before.  In 2013 - as in 1973 - it's time to knuckle down, to get going, to move onward & upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment